Often called the "Hill House", this Italianate style mansion was built for brothers George & Charles Pelton who ran the successful "Pelton Carpet Mill"
Mount Carmel Historic District
"Vibrant immigrant enclaves steeped in old world values and ethnic food are part of the American landscape. However, the locomotive age made Poughkeepsie’s Little Italy, sprouting in the shadow of a train trestle, truly distinct. The neighborhood’s first residents were the Irish, escaping the potato famine in the 1840s nearly 3000 miles away. In typically successive waves moving in and out of the area, they were followed by Germans who brought their trade skills of cigar-making, barbering, and shop-keeping and then again by Eastern European settlers."
- Walkway Over the Hudson
History of the Manor
Built in 1859, the Italianate style mansion was built for brothers George & Charles Pelton who ran the successful carpet manufacturing business - "Pelton Carpet Mills" (located at 110 Mill Street from 1827-1890). The building that was known as the "Hill House" was home to the Pelton family until the death of Charles Pelton in 1897. The family briefly rented the property to Gullaudet House (now known as Gullaudet University) , until 1910 when it was sold to the City of Poughkeepsie -with the help of Caroline Wheaton coining the property as "Wheaton Park".
In 1912, Pelton Manor became home the Poughkeepsie Day Nursery offering children services to those throughout the Hudson Valley. For over 100 years, this non-profit organization claimed residency until their closure in 2014.
In 2016, this property was sold by the City of Poughkeepsie to local business owners, Wayne Nussbickel and Steven Tinkelman (Pelton Partners, LLC) which have worked with the community on plans to rehab and repurpose this historic building as well as add contemporary living opportunities and green space in efforts to aide in the revitalization of the City of Poughkeepsie.
110 Mill Street
Once home to the Pelton Carpet Mill, this building listed on the historic registry was restored in the 1990's by Tinkelman Architecture.